We interviewed Jacque Aye the creator of the brand Adorned by Chi to learn more about her new graphic novel.
1)What is Adorned by Chi: The Graphic Novel about?
Adorned by Chi tells the tale of Adaeze, a painfully shy Nigerian college student who discovers she has Goddess-like powers and must, reluctantly, lead a team of young warriors to defeat an apocalyptic monster that threatens to destroy humanity. Adorned by Chi is inspired by the Japanese Magical Girl genre and series like Revolutionary Girl Utena, Madoka Magica, and, of course, Sailor Moon. The story also takes elements from Igbo culture & lore, including Goddesses like Ala, Uhamiri and more.
2) What inspired you to create the graphic novel?
We were moved to create our series after noticing a lack of African representation in the Magical Girl Genre…we actually couldn’t find any! So we created what we yearned to see.
3) Why did you to decide to have the series based in Nigeria?
I’m Nigerian! That’s really it – ha!
4) You have some amazing talent involved in the series. Can you tell us why you chose to collab with them on the project?
Sure, I chose everyone involved based on their talent, passion, and personality. I love working with creatives who find immense joy in what they do.
5) A lot of animated series become live action films. Can we expect a possible live action version in the future?
Well, first we’d probably need an animated series which I have my fingers crossed for! I hadn’t even thought of live action but that would be pretty cool.
6) What has been your biggest challenge creating the multi-media comic?
Dealing with a lot of moving pieces and making sure everyone’s work comes together in a cohesive way. As someone who is kind of shy, it’s been a bit hard telling people what to do or what I want, but as time went on it became perfectly harmonized.
7) What can we expect to see next from you and your team?
Issue two is dropping next week and I’m so excited! Besides that we will continue making merchandise and fun activities that tie into the story.
The series also has special videos with music from Eman the Heartbreak, Momo Pixel,and Krystal Gem. If you want to support Jacque and get a copy of the Adorned by Chi graphic novel visit, https://adornedbychi.com/collections/comics.